Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Crysyn

Crossbows

161 posts in this topic

In my memory, metal crossbows were not common because the invention of guns came too close after it, but they did exist (arbalests were mainly metal, besides the string and the bending part :D)

the advantage was durability, they would break a lot slower, and a lot more force behind the weapon than even a wooden one, also, it'd serve as a better melee weapon than the regular crossbow, should the need arise (which in those days nearly never happened since you would be dead too fast)

i remember hearing somewhere that the crossbow was often preffered over the gun due to how unreliable and inacurate the earliest of guns where.

well said green, the first guns were so unreliable if you overdid it on the gunpowder it'd explode in your hands, (yes you had to manually load in the gunpowder) but once that got fixed, bye bye crossbows, (besides, the regular longbow and English Longbows were preferred due to their nearly 6 to 1 arrow firing rate, the only time a crossbow squad was of use, was inside a fortress besieged by heavily armored knights)

I was thinking, guys, of a thing similar to the knapping gui. At the place of the stone there is wood. To open this gui you need to right click a placed log with a knife. The knife loses a bit of durability. However inside this gui you can remove all the unwanted wood and draw a bow. There are different bows that can be created. Each with its own abilities.

this has become suggested in posts ALL OVER the place, we definetly need wood carving to become its seperate, completely thought and illustrated out thread

this has become suggested in posts ALL OVER the place, we definetly need wood carving to become its seperate, completely thought and illustrated out thread

I'm suggesting only bows, artigianal bows, not wood carving itself. A new way to make the bows, because if wood carving will not be implemented, my suggestion could still be implemented because it's a new way to make bows, not wood carving itself.

well said green, the first guns were so unreliable if you overdid it on the gunpowder it'd explode in your hands, (yes you had to manually load in the gunpowder) but once that got fixed, bye bye crossbows, (besides, the regular longbow and English Longbows were preferred due to their nearly 6 to 1 arrow firing rate, the only time a crossbow squad was of use, was inside a fortress besieged by heavily armored knights)

the musket scared the shit out of people though!

The flash and thunder and smoke + people who believed in dragons and magic = an army of knightly knights running for their lives.

that ain't gonna be useful in smp though...

the musket scared the shit out of people though!

The flash and thunder and smoke + people who believed in dragons and magic = an army of knightly knights running for their lives.

that ain't gonna be useful in smp though...

firstly, lets stick this to medieval era max, keep it minecraftian in core.

secondly, the cannons were the first weapon using gunpowder, now the battle at Crecy (french king vs english troops, english won due to superior tactics even though being outnumbered heavily, first usage of cannons in combat) scared the devil right out of everyone on the receiving end, those things could kill 10 charging knights and knock down another 20 per shot, took several hours to reload however, it had to cool down

history lesson over.

we DO need another bow and boat implemented in tfc, the main trouble with minecraft was the lack of diversity: want to sail, 1 boat, want to fight ranged, 1 weapon, want to fight melee, 1 weapon etc TFC is doing a lot to fix it, we should keep improving the ideas made here

we DO need another bow and boat implemented in tfc, the main trouble with minecraft was the lack of diversity: want to sail, 1 boat, want to fight ranged, 1 weapon, want to fight melee, 1 weapon etc TFC is doing a lot to fix it, we should keep improving the ideas made here

-Want to mine? Lots and lots of metal types. Want to dig?

-No, I'll find only useless stone.

-No, in TFC you can mine 3000 types of stone.

-Really?

-Yes sweet sir. Want to chop down a tree.

-Who do you think I am? The classic woodcutter?

-Yeah, a bit. But now you can choose your tree, because we have 3000 types of trees. Want to get some lava?

-New lava too? Wow!

-No, sir. The lava is the same as vanilla.

- O_O

-Really?

-Yeah, a bit. But now you can choose your tree, because we have 3000 types of trees. Want to get some lava?

-New lava too? Wow!

- O_O

*And that guy couldn't ever sleep any more, seeing as life now made no sense at all...*

-Really?

-New lava too? Wow!

- O_O

Bioxx! different lava for each stone type!

different sticks for each tree type!

different shit for each meal!

different effects for each difference!

different different for each different!

different different different different!

*And that guy couldn't ever sleep any more, seeing as life now made no sense at all...*

This should be the right conclusion.

But now back on topic (Overused phrase)

'different sticks for each tree type!'

that already exists, just can not be obtained legit. (you can spawn it in via commands)

Seeing as there are tons of annoying stuffs here, I would like to point this out to the other people intending to derail this topic again: GTFO of this topic and post your own topic regarding the topic of discussion of what you intended to post to derail the topic in the first place.

Now that is done.... Back to the main meat of the topic. killster, you said that metal crossbows were around just before guns right? This is still within the 1000AD ~ 1400AD era? Cause as far as I remembered, I read a topic where some guy said Bioxx didn't want anything to do outside this year limit.

Seeing as there are tons of annoying stuffs here, I would like to point this out to the other people intending to derail this topic again: GTFO of this topic and post your own topic regarding the topic of discussion of what you intended to post to derail the topic in the first place.

Ohhh now you gone an' done it son. Mmm-Hmm! B)

I fear for your life. :angry:

somebody doesnt know what this forum is abouuut

they are going to diiiiie

lots and lost of kniiiives

/sing song voice

this forum is very different from most other forums. here, we dont exactly care about keeping on topics. once we get the main part of the topic finished, discussing all the details, we tend to start getting off track explaining how a particular stock is made as opposed to why a pole-arm is made. this topic reached its end a while ago, and now that sits done, thats whats happening. its how this community lives, breathes, and gets together to keep warm on 'those nights (;'

they are going to diiiiie

lots and lost of kniiiives

/sing song voice

hey! thats my line!!!

-proceeds to slap ECC silly-

cannons were around at 1337 (yes for real, thats when the hundred years war started) although they didnt see use until 1346, the various types of crossbows ranged from way before the 1 millenium mark, (chinese chu-ko-nu) until, say post 15's, although knights carried small crossbows of full metal, behind their shields in order to counter the tactic of pikemen front, crossbowmen behind, which decimated knights due to their effectiveness.

check this wiki post http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossbow for the full history (also, the repeating crossbow in the picture IS the chu-ko-nu Posted Image

'different sticks for each tree type!'

that already exists, just can not be obtained legit. (you can spawn it in via commands)

always wondered, are you unable to use the quote button?

No, I can use it, and even if I couldn't the BBcode for it is straightforward. I just kinda prefer using italics over giant boxes that take up 5 lines minimal and dont look clean one bit...

oh and nice derail there man ;D

so the only thing you have to say about an 8 page topic is the previous? that implies either its already nuked to shit but we dont know it, or you're forming a consensus :D

ECC IDK if this works for you but can you try to make something like this?

[ quote ]

The things that you want in the quote

[ /quote ]

Also you don't need the spaces after the quote word.

like you actually quoted, he knows how to use quotes, but he feels they are ugly :D

like you actually quoted, he knows how to use quotes, but he feels they are ugly :D

Really ECC? Ah ok, then I delete my post now.

EDIT: shoot me, its already on the board somewhere ;D

i've come across a weapon called a Spear-thrower in the book series Earths Children (which is based on true archeological finds) which was basically, an appliance that allowed people to throw javelins further and harder than by pure hand, it'd be a wooden appliance, fit in your hand, which could lift up and launch the spear you put in it, although the javs are a bit shorter than normal.

this could suit as a crossover between javelins and crossbows, and javelins could be nerfed (quite greatly) thanks to this.

Posted Image

you basically throw it like normal, its a lot shorter, but because of the leverage due to the tool it'd still fly harder and further than a hand thrown one, at the same muscle exercise (btw, thats a aztec variant, couldnt find a picture of Earths children series)

i've come across a weapon called a Spear-thrower in the book series Earths Children (which is based on true archeological finds) which was basically, an appliance that allowed people to throw javelins further and harder than by pure hand, it'd be a wooden appliance, fit in your hand, which could lift up and launch the spear you put in it, although the javs are a bit shorter than normal.

this could suit as a crossover between javelins and crossbows, and javelins could be nerfed (quite greatly) thanks to this.

Posted Image

you basically throw it like normal, its a lot shorter, but because of the leverage due to the tool it'd still fly harder and further than a hand thrown one, at the same muscle exercise (btw, thats a aztec variant, couldnt find a picture of Earths children series)

also called an atlatl