Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
EternalUndeath

Go to hell

277 posts in this topic

I wanna see the fire dragons >_>

I don't even need to see the fire dragons. They're dragons, in a game. I'll be a fan :P

I kinda want to see the wyrms

lol I just said that

So I got a nether portal open last night in the current build 47f, after a vanilla iron ingot dropped from a zombie. Flint and steel is the only thing you can make with that, and with flint for that matter. The obsidian wasn't hard to get either with wooden buckets of water, an iron pick, and a surface lava pit. I'm guessing this is not intentional since nothing has been done with the nether (yet). Ok it was kinda fun running around in there for a couple hours, collecting glowstone and killing stuff, like I'd found the secret cow level.

But it still felt kinda wrong after all the hours of relatively gritty realism and hard work that makes TFC so exceptionally cool. It was strange getting back to the surface world with all this stuff I either couldn't or wouldn't use. Vanilla gold nuggets and bars from pigmen won't melt down. Ghast tears, magma cream, etc. are useless since I didn't find a nether fortress to get the other alchemy necessities. Even glowstone seems out of place with all the torches everywhere. Same with placing netherrack and setting it on fire. Tacky noobshit castle on fire, anyone? I seriously considered setting up nether portals for fast transportation, though... then decided against it.

My point is that I don't think the nether (or the end) fits with the core philosophy of TFC. Having skimmed through this thread I see a lot of really cool ideas, but I would much rather see the surface world more fully developed. Yes it's already been made clear that modding the nether is a way off low priority, and for that I'm thankful. Maybe it should be left out entirely, just like enchanting, alchemy, and obsessing over teal diamonds.

For now I think the random drop table for mobs needs to be tweaked to remove vanilla items, perhaps replacing them with some TFC stuff. That should be a relatively easy fix. Getting an occasional iron helmet (which doesn't have much durability anyway) or an enchanted bow is a pleasant surprise but again kinda ruins the feel.

Not sure because of TL;DR syndrome that this has been brought up, but Hell should be really an extremely dark place (as per the Biblical Hell (no need to see that as a religious brunt of views)) with maybe no other light beside endless pits filled with an eerie blood red glow. You can, in vanilla, see a good as day almost no madder how deep in you dig. Of course we already know how much Notch pussied out with pigmen getting green blood to not look so gruesome -_-. Perhaps the particle effect the void gives off could be brought down under as an ash of sorts.

Many things need put in that should make you think as soon as you enter "Er mer gerhd let me out!!!"

Not sure because of TL;DR syndrome that this has been brought up, but Hell should be really an extremely dark place (as per the Biblical Hell (no need to see that as a religious brunt of views)) with maybe no other light beside endless pits filled with an eerie blood red glow. You can, in vanilla, see a good as day almost no madder how deep in you dig. Of course we already know how much Notch pussied out with pigmen getting green blood to not look so gruesome -_-. Perhaps the particle effect the void gives off could be brought down under as an ash of sorts.

Many things need put in that should make you think as soon as you enter "Er mer gerhd let me out!!!"

You should have read lol. The nether will be completely dark except for small pools of lava. It is not designed to be like hell, as I am not religious and do not really like to touch religious references when I code. Think of it as more of another dimension, which I described as one where no human should ever have set foot, but you have. You broke through to the next dimension, where there are very ancient, evil creatures that over time had sunken into their lethargy in the deep bowls of their world. Since you appeared, you have roused them. They are slow and weary from eons of sleep, but are vastly intelligent. There will be huge stalactites and stalagmites with glowstone cores and there will be large demons and lava wyrms. It is not a very hospitable place.

Dunk already stated what he WANTED to do with the nether -i don't remember if that was confirmed .-.- , and surprisely is similar to what you have said... :

BTW, what does "TL;DR" means? ._.

EDIT: damn it, why everyone post before i do? -w-U

Dunk already stated what he WANTED to do with the nether -i don't remember if that was confirmed .-.- , and surprisely is similar to what you have said... :

BTW, what does "TL;DR" means? ._.

EDIT: damn it, why everyone post before i do? -w-U

Too Long; Didn't Read

so yeah one thing that the nether defnitely needs is more kinds of blocks, cuz seriously, it gets really boring having just netherrack to dig through and nothing else

also, maybe some kind of ores that spawn only in the nether?

I for one think that the nether should have different biomes :P

yeah, well you're allowed to talk to me and Bioxx directly about that lol

ooh yeah so like the lava oceans would be a biome, like oceans in the overworld, and there would be souldsand flat areas, and dark canyon-ish areas and maybe if theres some sort of nether trees, we could have a forest biome for those, also there could be mountains coming out of the lava oceans like islands. adn we could have areas that are riddled with caves and holes...

Edit: well if biomes are even possible in the Nether

ooh yeah so like the lava oceans would be a biome, like oceans in the overworld, and there would be souldsand flat areas, and dark canyon-ish areas and maybe if theres some sort of nether trees, we could have a forest biome for those, also there could be mountains coming out of the lava oceans like islands. adn we could have areas that are riddled with caves and holes...

woah woah woah, hold your... (ponies?) anyway, I do have some specific ideas for the nether. For one thing, it is completely cave-like. I also want it to be very dark, which lava oceans aren't very conducive to.

woah woah woah, hold your... (ponies?) anyway, I do have some specific ideas for the nether. For one thing, it is completely cave-like. I also want it to be very dark, which lava oceans aren't very conducive to.

ok scrap the oceans yeah i did get a little excited but i wanna know if nether biomes are even possible before we get further into this

I would much rather have a brimstone style block instead of extremely bright red netherrack

I would much rather have a brimstone style block instead of extremely bright red netherrack

YES!! i always thought the red netherrack was a bit much, maybe some kind of really dark blackish-redish-brownish rock could substitute for that stuff and could even have special properties that would make going to ze Nezza actually usefull instead of going in and being like "oh hey, its the nether", and leaving

Completely cave like?

Sadface

One of the things I hated about vanilla nether was that it felt so underground, even in the more open areas

I was thinking more about vast plains in spots, so it would feel a bit more desolate

And all the fire wyrms and whatnot greatly contribute to that 'red fear' I mentioned to Jed so long ago, but I don't feel they're enough. There should be more things for you to have to piss your leather pants over.

Also, Dunk, by all means give these to Bioxx as a free inspiration bucket for the nether:

http://en.wikipedia....ns_%26_Dragons)

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060620a&page=3

I would support having a vast empty void above, with a desolate sky, somewhat like oblivion from well, Elder scrolls IV Oblivion, that place really captured my imagination http://images3.wikia...livion-Gate.jpg

I would support having a vast empty void above, with a desolate sky, somewhat like oblivion from well, Elder scrolls IV Oblivion, that place really captured my imagination http://images3.wikia...livion-Gate.jpg

ermegherd please make this the portal instead of that gross purple swirly-nast

Lmao, it was more aimed at the environment around, but yeah. that would be interesting, the atmosphere in oblivion was amazing, plenty of black fear at times too.

Lmao, it was more aimed at the environment around, but yeah. that would be interesting, the atmosphere in oblivion was amazing, plenty of black fear at times too.

oh yeah that too but lets just try and not infringe on any copyrights k?

Of course not, however i do not believe a mod CAN infringe on copyrights, or am i mistaken?

Of course not, however i do not believe a mod CAN infringe on copyrights, or am i mistaken?

-sad face because joke was not recognised as a joke-

anyway back on topic, yeah i do agree that the nether should be mostly open to the "sky" but i do think there should be massive cavernous canyony areas that are all dark and doomy

this would also make lava oceans more of a viable plan but im not sure if dunk will aprove

Yes, it can.

Mods rely on either original content, or right to parody.

So if you make a blatant oblivion portal, you either have to make it somehow wildly different in at least one respect, or state outright 'this is an oblivion portal, we totally got this from Bethesda and it's their original idea that we take no credit for'

Well it wouldn't be blatant since everything's made of blocks ;D And even then, if it isn't identical (including name and construction of the model/mesh/animations/etc.) then it's not infringing. I'm not entirely sure, but nearly every "portal" is the same as someone else's as it stands.